Saturday 24 October 2009

Signe Baumane

This week's upcoming Short & Sweet programme will take you on a rollercoaster of emotion, but as usual will end on a high with some more fun films from Signe Baumane. Signe is famous for her Teat Beat of Sex episodes. She currently lives in New York! You can buy all 15 episodes for only $19 (incl. packaging) here: www.teatbeat.com.

Short & Sweet has an exlcusive interview with Signe Baumane:

When did you discover your passion to write and be a film maker. Did you study?

I wrote my first novel when I was 8 and since that age I really wanted to be a writer and nothing else. Everybody kept telling me - you need to have some life experience to be a writer, but I was like - fuck life experience, I can imagine anything I want. My first novel was a romance, actually, more of a sexual escapade, my mother read it and was shocked how precisely her 8 year old described sexual act.

My short stories and poems were published in Latvian papers and magazines since I was 14, but people still kept telling me about getting life experience. So I went to Moscow to study philosophy and learn one or two things about life. Moscow State University at that time was the best school in the whole Soviet Union, am not even quite sure how I got in. Am not so smart to pass exams with the best results, but I might have charmed some of the examinators, impressing them with my integrity or Latvian pride, with something, not sure what. The University gave me the best education I could ever possibly get, thought me to think independently, ask questions and gave me a key to my Eternal Soul, I mean, to understanding myself as a part of the human race a bit better. I had an array of foreign lovers (in Soviet Union it was forbidden to have sex with foreigners, you could be kicked out of school or any good position/job you had) and learned a lot about life, passion, highs and lows of love. One or two things about sex, too.


What inspired you to write the Teat Beat Episodes?

I always liked to talk about sex. It is a very underestimated subject, and that, to my opinion, causes a lot of misunderstandings. If we talked more about it, we'd learn more. We'd shared some insights and eliminated the ongoing war between genders. But no, farts and taking shit are far more preferred subjects than sex.

What do we need to know about farting? It's all in the air! But sex - it's not so visible, although we all think about it every 8-12 seconds, and we need to bring it out, discuss it. In any case, that is my humble opinion.

But the story how exactly "Teat Beat of Sex" came about is a bit longer.


You’ve done extensive research on sex – can you tell the readers 2 things you’ve found out.

There are only 2 things to tell - 1) I had had sex and 2) I know nothing about it. I only know what I feel,

or how it felt with my partners but I have no idea what exactly my partners felt, and each of the them was so different, too... Am sure the ones that I dismissed as lousy lovers were amazing with other girls,

and some of my amazing lovers were lame with others. It's all so personal and based on so many mysterious components that I realize I will never be able to decipher sex. But I do have opinions. I discovered that what we call sexy is based only on the looks, not on true sensuality. True sensuality sometimes conflicts with the looks and fashion, and so you see what choices people make, what is more important to them - to feel or to look.


What do you like to do in your spare time?

I dont really have a spare time, sorry to disappoint you.

What I do (animation) is a lifestyle, it starts at 7 am when I get up and am living it till 11 pm - Midnight when I go to bed.


What have you got in the pipeline?

I am working on a feature!! We need a co-producer! Do you know anyone who'd be interested?

No comments:

Post a Comment